Serena An was ranked 63rd nationally at the 2017 National MATHCOUNTS Competition. She was one of eight recipients worldwide of the 2017 Spirit of Ramanujan Award. In the summer of 2018, she used the scholarship towards attending Canada/USA Mathcamp. She also achieved 6th place out of 285 competitors at the 2018 Math Prize for Girls competition.
Serena's favorite subject is geometry. When she is not thinking about math, Serena enjoys blogging, juggling, and crocheting.
Samyok Nepal is a two time MATHCOUNTS National qualifier and a four time participant in FLL. He has also scored a perfect USAMTS Round 1, top 5% in the nation on the AMC 10B, and first place in many high school debates. In 2017, He has scored 2nd in all state-wide MATHCOUNTS rounds, and scored in the top 1% in the nation in the 2016 AMC 8. In FLL, his team has made it to the Championship Event every year.
Samyok's favorite subject is number theory, and has a conspiracy theory that every geometry problem can be coordinate bashed. He also likes computer programming (especially designing websites like this one), logic puzzling, reading, biking, playing the violin, playing strategy games, and being on AoPS. He also likes to destroy (evil) robots.
Together, they have scored
- 1st in 2016 MATHCOUNTS Chapter and State Team Rounds (Samyok Nepal Captain--Kruel, An, Min)
- 1st in 2017 MATHCOUNTS Chapter and State Team Rounds (Serena An Captain--Nepal, Steinlicht, Nielson)
- 2nd place internationally in the 2017 Middle School Purple Comet Math Competition (Team Members: An, Nepal, Zou, Ting)
- 34th place internationally in the 2018 High School Purple Comet Math Competition (Team Members: An, Nepal, Kreul, Park)
- 39th place in the 2016 National MATHCOUNTS Team Round (Serena An Captain--Members: Kruel, Sarbacker, Nepal)
- 34th place in the 2017 National MATHCOUNTS Team Round (Serena An Captain--Members: Nepal, Comstock, Ting)